OT: how to set up an RBL

Malcolm Ray M.Ray at ULCC.AC.UK
Thu Aug 28 16:00:43 IST 2003

> Hi
> I know this is OT so I'll make it short.
> Ive search but cant find any good source on how to set up an RBL. It will be
> strickly for our companys use. Anyone have a link where I can find good and
> practical information.
>
> /Anders

What guidance are you looking for, exactly?  How to set up a nameserver?
What to put in the zonefile?  How to automate the zonefile maintenance?

An RBL server is just a nameserver with DNS zone(s) structured in a particular
way.  If your company already runs its own nameserver(s), it's likely that
your nameserver administrator already knows how to run an RBL, or will once
they're told what lookups it needs to support (e.g. show them
http://www.mail-abuse.org/rbl/usage.html).  If your company doesn't run
nameservers, then you could start by looking at the O'Reilly 'cricket' book
('DNS and BIND') to see what's involved.  Beware: although nameserver
administration isn't rocket science, most people seem to find the learning
process quite hard.