Testing MailScanner

Mon Aug 25 23:36:30 IST 2003

On Monday 25 August 2003 10:43 pm, Vernon Webb wrote:

> > Er, feed some spam through it and see what it does with it?
>
> Sorry I messed up on the last message. Wrong server, I'm a doo doo head
> sometimes.
>
> When I start MailScanner I get no errors, but when I restart it says:
>
> Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
>  MailScanner:       [  OK  ]
>  incoming sendmail: head: /var/run/sendmail.in.pid: No such file or
> directory [  OK  ]
>  outgoing sendmail: [  OK  ]
>
> Starting MailScanner daemons:
>  incoming sendmail: [  OK  ]
>  outgoing sendmail: [  OK  ]
>  MailScanner:       [  OK  ]

I'm not a RedHat user, but this looks encouraging to me (you're *sure* those
sendmail instances aren't bypassing MailScanner and delivering direct...?).

> And yet all SPAM is getting through.

What do the headers say on an email which should be blocked?

What does your syslog show as the mail is being processed?

You should check that both the above show your mail is getting processed by
MailScanner, and you should check (in the syslog output) what the Spam
Actions are shown as, and compare this with "Spam Actions = ...." in your
MailScanner.conf

Antony.

--

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.
You'll feel much better about things once you do.