MailScanner Configuraiton Problems

Wed Aug 20 12:42:13 IST 2003

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 4:05 am, Don Watkins wrote:

> My Mailscanner machine has a RELAY in the access file
> in /etc/mail/, i.e. notes.frkl.wnyric.org   RELAY.

This isn't a solution to your problem, but an observation about the setup:

I prefer to list relay machines by IP address instead of domain name, because
a spammer could easily forge your domain name as the 'From' address, and then
be able to relay through your server.   They can't connect from your internal
IP address, they can't do the same thing if that's the way the relaying is
set up.

Antony.

--

There are two possible outcomes.

If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement.
If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.

 - Enrico Fermi