mimail slipping through

Leland J. Steinke steinkel at PA.NET
Mon Aug 4 17:32:03 IST 2003

Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:

> F-Prot is not catching this! I have a open ticket but they didnt respond
> at all. For me its time to switch to another virus product, i really cant
> live with the fact they take 4 days to fix something like this. Even
> ClamAV outperforms them with virus updates.
>
> My suggestion, scan with Clam also for some time, use two scanners...

This is what we are doing.  Since f-prot has been caught doing what might be
worse than nothing, that is, doing it half-assed^h^h^h^h^hway.

It is very strange.  The Mimail.A message I intercepted, via a message bounce,
and dissected was a ZIP of a message.html file which had MIME-like headers in
front that told the mail client to execute the following binary data.  When I
removed the headers, f-prot identified the binary code as W32/Mimail.A at mm.

Leland