MailScanner and BlackList

NTIN Page Guy pages at ntin.net
Fri Aug 1 16:56:04 IST 2003

Hello Ken,

RAV had an option to check all the received lines, if an IP address in
any of the received lines appeared in a DNS blacklist the message was
rejected.

This is a feature I loved.  Then any message that got thru Postini
from a known spammer source would be killed by RAV.

I wonder why other programs such as Communigate own built in RBL
routines or MailScanner's does not check the IP in every 'received'
line?

 Friday, August 01, 2003, you wrote:

KA> Everything will be tested on postini's ips. AFAIK, you can't depend on
KA> IP based checks in MS or SA when using a 3rd party relay, though I could
KA> be wrong. That's not to say that MS/SA isn't still a good idea. We get
KA> about 80% of our mail relayed through Postini, though only a small
KA> percentage of our users actually use Postini; MS/SA do a great job
KA> filtering even without the IP based rules & rbl stuff.
KA> Ken A

KA> NTIN Page Guy wrote:

>> Hello MailScanner,
>>
>> We have an outside Spam and Virus filtering
>> service from Postini.com as well as server side.  With this
>> outside filter all email messages come from postini servers.
>>
>> The headers do contain the original 'received' lines which does
>> include the orignal senders IP address.
>>
>> Does the BlackList feature in MailScanner look at all the 'received'
>> lines and their  the IP's?
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Robert B, NTIN                           mailto:pages at ntin.net

Best regards,