MailScanner/SpamAssassin VS spamassasin -t gives different scores (sometimes)

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 24 14:38:33 IST 2003

At 14:17 24/04/2003, you wrote:
>Am running MS 4.10-1 and SA 2.43 with sendmail under RedHat 7.3.
>
>Found that some spam is getting through because MailScanner/SpamAssassin
>does not always apply all the rules that "spamassassin -t" does.
>
>In two messages I am testing, a rule from /usr/share/spamassassin/* (the
>standard SA rules) and a rule from /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf (our
>local rules) are not applied when the messages are posted but the two
>rules _are_ applied when the messages are run through "spamassassin -t".
>Note that other rules from both these sets are applied when these same
>messages are posted; just some of the rules are being ignored.
>
>Doing "spamassassin -D -t" indicates that the "spamassassin" command is
>using the same rule set files that MS/SA should be using. I run
>"sendmail/MS/SA" as root and am also running "spamassassin -t" as root.
>
>I have /usr/local/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf empty and set
>everything I need in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.
>
>Is there a known bug in the above MS/SA combination? I am not in a
>position to upgrade yet to a later MS & SA setup.

The only help I can give you is that these options have been added in the
latest beta release:

# The per-user files (bayes, auto-whitelist, user_prefs) are looked
# for here and in ~/.spamassassin/. Note the files are mutable.
# If this is unset then no extra places are searched for.
# If using Postfix, you probably want to set this as shown in the example
# line at the end of this comment, and do
#      mkdir /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin
#      chown postfix.postfix /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin
#SpamAssassin User State Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin
SpamAssassin User State Dir =

# This setting is useful if SpamAssassin is installed in an unusual place,
# e.g. /opt/MailScanner. The install prefix is used to find some fallback
# directories if neither of the following two settings work.
# If this is set then it adds to the list of places that are searched;
# otherwise it has no effect.
#SpamAssassin Install Prefix = /opt/MailScanner
SpamAssassin Install Prefix =

# The site-local rules are searched for here, and in prefix/etc/spamassassin,
# prefix/etc/mail/spamassassin, /usr/local/etc/spamassassin, /etc/spamassassin,
# /etc/mail/spamassassin, and maybe others.
# If this is set then it adds to the list of places that are searched;
# otherwise it has no effect.
#SpamAssassin Local Rules Dir = /opt/MailScanner/etc/mail/spamassassin
SpamAssassin Local Rules Dir =

# The default rules are searched for here, and in prefix/share/spamassassin,
# /usr/local/share/spamassassin, /usr/share/spamassassin, and maybe others.
# If this is set then it adds to the list of places that are searched;
# otherwise it has no effect.
#SpamAssassin Default Rules Dir = /opt/MailScanner/share/spamassassin
SpamAssassin Default Rules Dir =

--
Julian Field