MailScanner/SpamAssassin VS spamassasin -t gives different scores (sometimes)

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Thu Apr 24 14:17:33 IST 2003

Am running MS 4.10-1 and SA 2.43 with sendmail under RedHat 7.3.

Found that some spam is getting through because MailScanner/SpamAssassin
does not always apply all the rules that "spamassassin -t" does.

In two messages I am testing, a rule from /usr/share/spamassassin/* (the
standard SA rules) and a rule from /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf (our
local rules) are not applied when the messages are posted but the two
rules _are_ applied when the messages are run through "spamassassin -t".
Note that other rules from both these sets are applied when these same
messages are posted; just some of the rules are being ignored.

Doing "spamassassin -D -t" indicates that the "spamassassin" command is
using the same rule set files that MS/SA should be using. I run
"sendmail/MS/SA" as root and am also running "spamassassin -t" as root.

I have /usr/local/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf empty and set
everything I need in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.

Is there a known bug in the above MS/SA combination? I am not in a
position to upgrade yet to a later MS & SA setup.

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Computing Service, University of Newcastle
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.