MS, SA, Bayes, locking(?)

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 24 14:19:08 IST 2003

At 13:53 24/04/2003, you wrote:
>I get a lot of these messages (on the console):
>Cannot open bayes_path /var/mail/.spamassassin/bayes R/W: File exists
>
>Somebody know what's happening?

With something as old as 3.27, this is probably caused by SpamAssassin
timing out.

>I also have two running mailscanners, is that normal? If I stop and restart
>it I only get one for a while.
>mail     11680     1  2 14:02 ?        00:00:44 /usr/bin/perl
>/usr/sbin/mailscanner /etc/mailscanner/mailscanner.conf
>mail     13567 11680 15 14:38 ?        00:00:03 /usr/bin/perl
>/usr/sbin/mailscanner /etc/mailscanner/mailscanner.conf

If you notice, one is owned by the other. So it's just another process it
has forked off to do scanning or SpamAssassin.

>Also a last question: I still get these header lines sometimes:
>Is this when SA times out?

Almost certainly, yes.

>I'm running 3.27.1 on Debian.

Anyone fancy getting a *slightly* more recent version packaged for Debian
please?
I stopped supporting/fixing/improving 3.27 a long time ago.
--
Julian Field