"Delete As Spam" button for Exchange

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Thu Apr 3 20:35:43 IST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 20:00, Dale Lovelace wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>   I am trying to implement a "Delete As Spam" button in VBScript for
> Outlook/Exchange that would allow a user to delete a mail they
> considered spam from their Inbox, then forward it to a special email
> address that I will use to then feed to SpamAssassin's new bayesian
> learning. Before I got started I thought I would ask if anyone had
> done anything like that before, or if anyone knows of a script archive
> somewhere that might have something along these lines. I haven't done
> any VBScripting ever, so any tips at all would be great! I'll be sure
> to release whatever I do come up with to the world!

I haven't tried anything quite like this, but I do have a plan for
dealing with this once I upgrade SA.  I wanted to avoid using 'forward'
because this slightly changes the content and replaces the headers.
Here's my idea...

1) Create an exchange account for the MailScanner
2) Create two public folders, one called Spam, one called NotSpam.
These folders are owned by the MailScanner user created above, writable
by everyone, but not readable by anyone other than the MailScanner user
(to protect users privacy).
3) Use fetchmail on the MailScanner machine to collect and delete
messages from the two public folders (using IMAP) and push them to
corresponding mail accounts on the MailScanner machine.
4) Use Julian's script to process the messages through salearn.

I've tested the public folders bit and it works [its slightly
disconcerting that you can't see the messages you've copied in there,
but it works and the messages are unaltered].  I've not tested the
fetchmail bit, but I'm confident it will work (I already access exchange
through IMAP from evolution so I know that's okay).

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.