Forward Spam Action Clarification

Nathan Johanson nathan at TCPNETWORKS.NET
Thu Apr 3 19:43:40 IST 2003

Hello,

I am getting ready to implement a spam actions ruleset:

I have the following in /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.actions.rules

To:     *@domain.com    forward spam at domain.com

I understand this and have tested it with success. Messages marked as
spam are forwarded to the appropriate email address (and that' it). The
message doesn't appear to be archived, sent to the original recipient,
or anything more.

However, I noticed that a few people have implemented the same rule but
appended the delete action after the forwarding email address, like so:

To:     *@domain.com    forward spam at domain.com delete

Based on my testing, there doesn't seem to be a difference between these
two rules. In other words, once it's forwarded, it's implicity deleted
from the queue and appending delete as a second action doesn't seem to
matter. Is this correct?

Nathan