I noticed this tonight...

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Wed Apr 2 14:02:44 IST 2003

I'm using sendmail and always have <?>

The user mail does have the correct ~ specified:

mail:x:8:12:mail:/var/spool/mail:/sbin/nologin

Any other ideas?

Mike

-----Original Message-----
Of Julian Field
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 1:50 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: I noticed this tonight...

At 07:14 02/04/2003, you wrote:
>In the output of cron.daily, I saw this:
>
>Failed to create default user preference file
>//.spamassassin/user_prefs
>
>Is there a path somewhere not specified correctly?

I would guess you are using Exim perhaps. It is trying to create a
.spamassassin directory under "/" but does not have permission to do so.

In your /etc/passwd file, have you specified the home directory of user
"mail" to be "/"? If so, you need to make sure that user "mail" has a real
home dir that it can write to.
--
Julian Field
www.MailScanner.info