I noticed this tonight...

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 2 08:50:24 IST 2003

At 07:14 02/04/2003, you wrote:
>In the output of cron.daily, I saw this:
>
>Failed to create default user preference file //.spamassassin/user_prefs
>
>Is there a path somewhere not specified correctly?

I would guess you are using Exim perhaps. It is trying to create a
.spamassassin directory under "/" but does not have permission to do so.

In your /etc/passwd file, have you specified the home directory of user
"mail" to be "/"?
If so, you need to make sure that user "mail" has a real home dir that it
can write to.
--
Julian Field