Server Specifications?

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at civ.utwente.nl
Mon Oct 21 16:22:06 IST 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:19:34 +0100, you wrote:

>        We are looking at putting in place a server running Mailscanner &
>SpamAssassin, and I was wondering what kind of spec machine we would
>require...
>Looking at the mail logs of our exchange server, last week we had:
>11296 messages outgoing (352MB), 95574 messages incoming (900MB)

We have the following statistics (on a normal day; not week):
|Total recipients:         57209
|Total virusses detected:  374
|Total spams tagged:       6829

We do this on a single Pentium III 1GHz and 512 MB. The load almost
never reaches 1.00. We do BL's in MS and not in sendmail nor
SpamAssassin. The number of BL's we query is 10. We use f-port as a
virusscanner.

So any system you can buy today (or even get out of storage) would be
able to handle your number of messages.

--
Peter Peters
senior netwerkbeheerder,  Centrum voor Informatievoorziening,