Server Specifications?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 21 16:58:01 IST 2002

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said.
You are only talking 20,000 messages per day, even if all your mail happens
on Monday-Friday (and hence your weekly total is divided by 5 and not 7).

My test system is a dual-CPU 1GHz Pentium 3 with 512Mb of RAM. That's
considerably less power than an up-to-date PC has now. The test system
proved capable of handing over 250,000 messages per day (with spam checks
and SpamAssassin running).

So just about any off-the-shelf PC will do it with ease.

At 15:19 21/10/2002, you wrote:
>         We are looking at putting in place a server running Mailscanner &
>SpamAssassin, and I was wondering what kind of spec machine we would
>require...
>Looking at the mail logs of our exchange server, last week we had:
>11296 messages outgoing (352MB), 95574 messages incoming (900MB)
>
>Can anyone with a similar amount of mail tell me what they are running?

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ