ANNOUNCE: 4.00.0a9 released

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 8 14:52:24 IST 2002

At 21:58 07/10/2002, you wrote:
>some very hazy notes that suggested the TimeDate and MIME-Tools didn't
>make it. Running
>rpm -Uvh perl-TimeDate-1.1301-1.src.rpm
>
>got be the string of ### and counted to 100%, but
>rpm -e perl-TimeDate
>
>reports that perl-TimeDate is not installed.

No, the "rpm -Uvh" on the ".src.rpm" will only install the source. You
would need to
         rpmbuild --rebuild /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/perl-TimeDate-1.1301-1.spec
to build the ".rpm" which you can then install with
         rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch/perl-TimeDate-1.1301-1.noarch.rpm

>After installing (but before checking) on that I tried the rpmbuild
>--rebuild you suggested.
>[root at verbose MailScanner-4.00.0a9-7]# rpmbuild --rebuild
>perl-MIME-tools-5.411-pl3.1.src.rpm
>Installing perl-MIME-tools-5.411-pl3.1.src.rpm
>error: failed build dependencies:
>         perl >= 2:5.8.0 is needed by perl-MIME-tools-5.411-pl3.1
>[root at verbose MailScanner-4.00.0a9-7]# rpm -Uvh
>perl-MIME-tools-5.411-pl3.1.noarch.rpm
>error: open of perl-MIME-tools-5.411-pl3.1.noarch.rpm failed: No such file
>or directory
>
>Perl greater than 5.8 is needed? I hope not. Reving perl is almost as
>scary as reving Apache in my experience! Are you sure you don't want
>access to this machine?

Fixed this.

> [...]
>> >/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch/perl-MIME-tools-5.411-pl3.1.noarch.rpm.
>> >Maybe it did not build correctly?
>>
>>Have you got the errors from above this? I've just tried this on (another)
>>clean RedHat 8.0 machine and it builds the MIME-tools module okay.
>>Try doing a
>>          rpmbuild --rebuild perl-MIME-tools-5.411-pl3.1.src.rpm
>>          rpm -Uvh perl-MIME-tools-5.411-pl3.1.noarch.rpm
>>
>>and see what output you get from those two.
>> >Installing perl-Convert-TNEF-0.17-1.src.rpm
>> >Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.45663
>>
>>That will fail as it needs MIME-tools to be installed before it can build
>>the rpm.
>>
>> >Seeing that mailscanner hadn't made it into the results, I ran it myself:
>> >[root at verbose MailScanner-4.00.0a9-5]# rpm -Uvh mailscanner*rpm
>> >error: failed dependencies:
>> >         sendmail is needed by mailscanner-4.00.0a9-4
>> >         tnef >= 1.1.1 is needed by mailscanner-4.00.0a9-4
>> >         perl-MIME-tools >= 5.411 is needed by mailscanner-4.00.0a9-4
>> >         perl-Convert-TNEF is needed by mailscanner-4.00.0a9-4
>> >
>> >Of course, the sendmail dependency is just as bogus as ever. Also, my
>> >earlier comments about the closing commands still stand. I just did
>> >chkconfig --list and see that MailScanner is only active in the current
>> >runlevel, 3 in my case. So this command is still needful:
>> >chkconfig --level 2345 MailScanner on
>>
>>Done.
>>
>> >However, I'm really, really happy with the change. The huge (for us)
>> >mountain of mail in the queues was gone in seconds, and the test messages
>> >ended up in my mailbox. The two with payloads (I manually attached my
>> >entire pet virus collection) were stripped of their attachments, and the
>> >reply was sent:
>> >This message is simply to warn you that your computer system may have a
>> >virus present and should be checked.
>> >
>> >The virus detector said this about the message:
>> >Report: joke.exe  Infection: W32/Hybris.worm.B
>> >Report: Very Funny.vbs  Infection: VBS/LoveLetter.gen
>> >Visual Basic Scripts are dangerous in email (Very Funny.vbs)
>> >Report: Pretty Park.exe  Infection: PrettyPark.37376
>> >"Pretty Park" virus (Pretty Park.exe)
>> >Report: ALANIS_Screen_Saver.SCR  Infection: W32/MTX.9244.worm.A
>> >Windows Screensavers are often used to hide viruses
>> (ALANIS_Screen_Saver.SCR)
>> >
>> >So, I'm back in business, and Julian is now my hero. Right on! If the mail
>> >had been held up at the start of business tomorrow there would have been
>> >hell to pay.
>>
>>Yay!
>>
>>Keep an eye on the downloads page for new versions of the RPMs.
>>Build 6 is current.
>>
>>--
>>Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
>>jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
>>Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
>>                              Southampton SO17 1BJ
>
>--
>Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ