ANNOUNCE: 4.00.0a9 released

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Mon Oct 7 22:51:05 IST 2002

Interesting little twist with the alpha is the number of messages I'm getting. I
just sent another test to confirm that it was still running (I'm a little gunshy
at the moment) and there were three messages in my "Virus Alerts" mailbox. This
box receives mail based on matching the "Warning: E-mail viruses detected" in the
Subject line and gets mail addressed to my user address on the scanner and to
postmaster on the same machine.

One was to tell me that some nasty person (me at an outside address) had sent me
an infected message. One was to tell me that some nasty person (postmaster) had
sent me (as a local user) a message featuring "One or more of the attachments are
on the list of unacceptable attachments," and one was to tell me that postmaster
had sent me a message with viruses.

The old system (I think I was running 3.13 for some months, I'm not sure I ever
got 3.23 working - it was that frustration that caused me to go to the alpha)
would have only sent me a single message. Essentially it didn't treat the message
from the mail server to me as a separate issue from the incoming message.

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,