Specific From-To pairing rules

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Nov 25 11:00:40 GMT 2002

At 10:35 25/11/2002, you wrote:
>Is there a way to write rules based on specific From and To pairings?  In
>other words, a particular To address wants to receive from a certain From
>address, but another To address wants mail from that envelope treated as
>spam.  Neither the FromTo nor the FromandTo seem to do this.

The current config compiler can't do this. However, if you are up to
writing a bit of perl then you can implement it yourself as a Custom
Function. I didn't want to make the config compiler more complex than
necessary. It doesn't handle arbitrary expressions I'm afraid.

Furthermore, in your specific situation, you will hit the fact that a
message is not split up for different recipients. MailScanner doesn't
create duplicate messages for different recipients. It will happily edit
the recipient list of a message, but it won't create 2 completely separate
output messages for 1 input message. For example, if the subject line is
modified for 1 recipient, all the recipients will get the modified subject
line.

Unfortunately my config system doesn't allow totally general rules to be
defined, that would have added a lot of complexity for a gain only seen by
a few users. However, you can implement any scheme you wish using the
Custom Function facility.

>I would procmail, but unfortunately MailScanner is front-ending for
>Exchange.  And, yes, it is possible to get the person to unsubscribe, but
>this will keep me from having to explain how to the person!  Or the person
>could write an Outlook rule, but that also means a visit :-)

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ