v4: naming Sophos homedir

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Nov 22 18:51:36 GMT 2002

At 18:39 22/11/2002, you wrote:
>    Steve is right; more configurable parameters in mailscanner.conf
>means less twinking with other files to get things to work when an
>upgrade happens.  That's the idea.

The conf would have to go in virus.scanners.conf as it is set per scanner.
One other thing: this breaks all the autoupdate scripts, as they would have
to be passed the dir as well. This would mean a change to the cron job for
all installed systems, which is clearly not a good idea.

>    As for Sophos, are you saying that lib/sophos-autoupdate and
>lib/sophos-wrapper run the show, and the v3 era autoupdate and
>sophoswrapper that I had in /opt/sophos/bin can go away?

Yes.

>I've
>tried lib/sophos-autoupdate; it got the new virus info, created a
>new directory, then didn't reset the ide link.  I'm looking at
>why it failed.

It might have assumed a different installation dir.
Let me know.

>On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Steve Barber wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:10:18 -0500
> > From: Steve Barber <steveb at CME.NIST.GOV>
> > To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
> > Subject: Re: v4: naming Sophos homedir

> > > All of those scripts now live inside MailScanner's dir structure rather
> > > than the virus scanner's dir, so they don't get lost when you upgrade
> your
> > > virus scanner or anything like that.
> >
> > Julian, I think his concern was more that upgrading mailscanner
> > was a pain because all these scripts had to be re-edited to
> > change the path to the virus scanners.  He wanted to put the
> > path prefixes in the mailscanner config file and make these
> > scripts use that prefix so that he only had to worry about bringing
> > over the config file with the new mailscanner install.  I have
> > the same problem and like his suggestion.
> >
> > Steve

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ