IFrame tags

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Tue Nov 12 13:47:42 GMT 2002

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the problem is that
IFRAME can be used to reference a URL to remote system and doesn't need
to contain a executabled code.  The IFRAME can cause the email client to
download and execute the code from that remote system so a vvirus
scanner on a mail gateway is ineffective because the message doesn't
include the code.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert [mailto:robert at VCT.SI]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 6:54 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: IFrame tags

Hi

Recently there was a discussion on IFrame tags in e-mails, but I still
don't get it. If you allow IFrame tags in MailScanner, and the incoming
mail with IFrame tag is infected, the virus scanner should intercept it,
right? As far as I can see, the only time "Allow IFrame Tags" option is
useful, when there is a quickly spreading new virus (exploiting this
vunerability) and my virus scanner is not yet updated with new
definitions. Am I missing something here?

--

Robert Manfreda
VCT d.o.o., Idrija