white/black list question...

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Nov 11 21:48:10 GMT 2002

At 21:08 11/11/2002, you wrote:
>Does the latest version of MailScanner allow me to scan or not scan mail
>not only from a specific user, but to a specific user?  I want to implement
>a "This mail is/is not spam" option, and I'd like to do something like this
>in the white list file:
>
>toandfrom: myemail at mydomain.com not_a_spammer at other_domain.com yes
>
>so that any mail coming to myemail at mydomain from
>not_a_spammer at other_domain.com will not be scanned, however if the mail was
>coming from not_a_spammer at other_domain.com to another_email at mydomain.com,
>it would be scanned.

The rules only currently allow 1 address to match, not combinations of
addresses (the whole system could get absurdly complex!). However, if you
are up to writing a teeny bit of Perl code, you can do this with a custom
function in CustomConfig.pm. This could even read the relevant matching
email addresses from a database if you wanted.

How many different combinations of this sort of rule are you trying to
handle? 1, 5, 5000?
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ