Mail Relay to Lotus

Alex Short alex at IALEX.NET
Fri Nov 1 15:31:30 GMT 2002

Here's my problem, mail comes into the company via a web-proxy running on
the firewall, that will be proxy'ing to the "mailscanner" machine.  Call
it mail-gw.  My wish is it to scan the email and pass it on to the domino
server.  We run internal and external dns for this hostname, so how i had
invisioned it is this.

externally mx is ip of the firewall with the proxy
internally mx is the ip of the domino server (5) and mail-gw (10)

The problem is this, using that setup, any internal systems that require
to email internally will try hitting the domino server.  Perfect you
think, wrong! the domino server (which isn't mine to administer) is setup
to only accept connections from the mail-gw ip.

Basically i'm trying to get rid of the mcafee scanner that currently sits
on a winbox and replace it, but i'm finding it difficult telling
mailscanner to scan and forward without relying on DNS.  I suppose i could
run a seperate dns server on the mailgw and mx is only the domino server,
but i think that would be tremendous pain in the ass to have two
independent dns servers.

Any ideas.. at my old workplace i used amavis and just set DH in sendmail
config file to the destination for all mail.  Trying this with MailScanner
basically got ignored ;)

Alex