mailscanner 3.15-3 proc dies without error/warning - tied to mailman?

Ryan Dlugosz ryan at DLUGOSZ.NET
Tue May 21 14:49:37 IST 2002

Julian,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Here's some more info for you.  I am running
Perl v5.6.1 - I have verified that I've switched debugging back off and I
was able to immediately recreate my problem.  I started mailscanner
directly from a console by running the script & I manually started the two
sendmail procs.
I received NO errors at all on the console, even when the Perl process
died.  I sent a few emails back and forth which all worked just fine.
Then, I sent an email to "test at dlugosz.net", a test Mailman list which
only has two subscribers (myself and another remote account).  The email
was scanned, passed to the Mailman wrapper script, then sent out again.
Now, each of the 2 emails (one for each address on the list) are scanned -
Boom - Perl process is gone, no errors.  The mail sits in the mqueue.in
folder - They appear to have actually been scanned (they contain the
mailscanner headers), but MS appears to have died before it moved them
into the outgoing queue.
I've included the contents of my mail queues below, maybe you'll find them
interesting - this 0 length file always happens to show up after MS
dies... I can get you any other info that may help you out - just let me
know.  If necessary, I can let you have root for a little while if I can't
get you the info you need.
Thanks,
Ryan

[root at deuce spool]# ls -lR mqueue*