OT Re: New FAQ - Windows support

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon May 20 14:59:54 IST 2002

At 14:39 20/05/2002, you wrote:
>If "somebody" sends one of my users a copy of Klez, my mailscanner/sophos
>setup spots the virus and kills it.
>However, I as postmaster get a warning message, but my user doesn't. Is this
>right?

Correct. Your user gets the original mail message, with the infected
attachment replaced by a text file telling the user what happened and what
they can do about it if they need any help.

I see little point in sending the user the nasty techie message that is
sent to postmaster (mostly to allow later statistical analysis).

>"The following e-mail messages were found to have viruses in them:
>
>    Sender: <shireenshaikh at bxxxxxxxx.com>
>Recipient: <gill at yyyyyyyyy.co.uk>
>   Subject: Topicsearch, or search
>MessageID: g4I9Kie04966
>    Report: >>> Virus 'W32/Klez-G' found in file ./g4I9Kie04966/class.exe
>
>--
>MailScanner
>Email Virus Scanner"
>
>Can I send this message to my user as well?

No.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ