"notify recipient" vs "deliver to recipient"?

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu May 9 17:53:34 IST 2002

At 17:12 09/05/2002, you wrote:
>   I presently have the following settings in my mailscanner.conf file:
>
>Deliver To Recipients = no
>Deliver From Local Domains = no
>Notify Senders = no
>Notify Local Postmaster = yes
>Postmaster Gets Full Headers = yes
>Deliver Disinfected Files = no
>
>Basically the users don't see anything if infected, just the postmaster.
>There is desire in my user community to have the recipient get notification,
>like the postmaster does, when a virus has been punted on their behalf.
>No delivery, just notification.  This would be a good idea; it lets
>the users know that:

What about all the messages which just have things like an infected
attachment? MailScanner will always endeavour to deliver as much of the
message as it cleanly can (one of its advantages over products like
Amavis). Not all infected mail is generated by worms.

So I just recommend you set "Deliver To Recipients = yes".

>a) the message they were looking for *was* sent, just not delivered
>    because of infection, or

In the current code, they will know it was sent because they received all
the uninfected parts of it, which is surely more use than just some
notification that their incoming mail was thrown away on their behalf.

>b) mailscanner is on the job and doing good work for them (a plug
>    for mailscanner).

Current code achieves this already.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ