ANNOUNCE: Version 3.20-1 released

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jun 15 12:07:41 IST 2002

Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as it appears. There are a few lists
of things, such as the list of RBL domains, which would appear in both the
etc and the etc-local files. So do I replace the RBL domains list with what
appears in the etc-local file, do I add to it, what?

At 15:39 14/06/2002, you wrote:
>Julian,
>
>    Installed, working great so far.  I love the fact that the IP number and
>domain name now appear in the spamassassin syslogs.  Here's yet another
>suggestion from the peanut gallery to make things even better:
>
>* I wish there was an (initially empty) "etc-local" directory in
>   /opt/mailscanner for my tweeks to the configuration files in
>   /opt/mailscanner/etc.  The idea here is that your default configuration
>   files go into /opt/mailscanner/etc, and my modifications to one of
>   your config files goes into etc-local.  For instance, I have several
>   mods to /opt/mailscanner/etc/mailscanner.conf.solaris.  Installing
>   a new version of mailscanner is painful because I have to go thru the
>   config files and re-tweek my changes before starting things up again.
>   This takes time, and mail stacks up in the queue meanwhile.
>   If there were:
>
>      /opt/mailscanner/etc/mailscanner.conf.solaris (your config, untouched)
>
>   and
>
>     /opt/mailscanner/etc-local/mailscanner.conf.solaris (lines containing
> my mods)
>
>   where the settings in etc-local override the setting for the corresponding
>   file in etc, then I can keep my mods separated from your defaults.  The
>   logic of "read etc config file, read etc-local config file for override
>   settings" could apply to any file in /opt/majordomo/etc at startup.
>
>** Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D                         PHONE: 207-872-3659
>** Senior UNIX Sysadmin, Information Technology    EMAIL: jaearick at colby.edu
>** Colby College, 4214 Mayflower Hill,               FAX: 207-872-3076
>** Waterville ME, 04901-8842

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ