sophos autoupdate

Nick Phillips nwp at LEMON-COMPUTING.COM
Tue Jun 11 02:59:01 IST 2002

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 08:06:44AM -0500, Michael Chaney wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 10:32:04PM +0200, Willem Kuiters wrote:
> > Well, I use the Debian Woody package of mailscanner and mailscanner.conf
> > thus lives in /etc/mailscanner ;) I don't know where the Sophos.install
> > script is but it is not in /usr/local. To install Sophos I use their
> > install.sh script which puts things in /usr/local. I adapted the
> > autoupdate script and that now runs fine with the defaults of the Sophos
> > install script.
>
> Sigh.  What is it with Debian users?  Mailscanner is updated way too
> often for you to rely on the Debian folks to give it to you.  Get it
> straight from the tap, and use the default install locations.  It'll
> make your life way easier, I promise.

For what it's worth, I'll probably be taking over the Debian mailscanner
package after the next big release of mailscanner. At that point I will
be making the packages available both through the normal Debian repositories,
and also through a mailscanner-only repository to enable those of you who
run Woody (which will then be stable) to update mailscanner without having
to learn how to use apt pinning.

The specific problem with Debian and mailscanner in this particular case
is that as far as Debian is concerned, the mailscanner package shouldn't
really be including bits relating to all sorts of other packages (e.g.
tnef, perl modules, AV scanners etc.). There isn't really a great solution
to this at the moment.

Um, the next big version of mailscanner will also have all the autoconf
gunk that I've been playing with, which will make it nice and easy for
you to keep it up-to-date and separate from your system's preinstalled
stuff, too, should you so desire (I have both the Debian package installed
and the autoconf'ed stuff - I'm using the autoconf-installed bits while I
develop stuff).

If a few people want to volunteer to test the autoconfiscation, please
email me privately and I'll send you a tarball of what I'm working on.

Be warned that this will also include one or two other things that are
currently being tested.

Cheers,

Nick
Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com
Your lucky number is 3552664958674928.  Watch for it everywhere.