sophos autoupdate

Willem Kuiters wkuiters at FREE.FR
Sun Jun 9 20:36:03 IST 2002

Hello again,

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 05:57:37PM +0100, Julian Field wrote:

> At 17:44 09/06/2002, you wrote:
> >I've been trying the sophos auto-update script that comes with
> >mailscanner. (Julian got me scared about locking sophos while updating).
> >Everything seems to work, a new directory is made with a fresh set of ide
> >files, but the symlink directing towards it seems to have problems and
> >when I launch sweep after running the script it complains that it can't
> >find the .dat file. What could be the cause?
>
> What sort of a problem? You should end up with a symlink "ide" pointing to
> a directory named
>         <version>.<datetime>
> for example
>         356.200206090402
>
> And when it has run, don't run sweep, run "sophoswrapper" which sets up the
> environment variables to point to the directory it has created (via the
> "ide" symlink).

OK, I did that, I put the sophoswrapper script, like sweep, in
/usr/local/bin and changed /etc/mailscanner.conf to use it instead of
sweep.  I changed /etc/sav.conf to point to /usr/local/ide so that the
sweep command when launched by me on the command line also takes the new
ide files into account.  Next step is to link the autoupdate script to a
procmail recipe so that it is launched upon warnings coming from Sophos

Is all this OK or will I run into problems?

Running sweep shows me that it uses the updated ide files (through the
output on the screen). Is there any way to see that the sophoswrapper
script does so as well? (Now that I got truly paranoid, this would be
reassuring).

Many thanks for your help,

Willem
--
€º°`°º€ø,žž,ø€º°`°º€ø,žž,ø€º°`°º€ø,žž,ø€º°`°º€ø,žž,ø€º°`°º€ø,žž,ø€º°`°º€ø
         **   "Success generally depends upon knowing how    **