Follow-up to SpamAssassin Hangup

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jul 16 08:41:55 IST 2002

At 08:38 16/07/2002, you wrote:
>Mojahedul Hoque Abul Hasanat wrote:
>>
>>This is a miracle!  Once MailScanner re-executed itself after the
>>default 4 hours, the spamassassin hangup problem just vanished.  The log
>>shows gobbles of "SpamAssassin timed out..." before the first restart,
>>after that it's clean like a baby.
>>
>>This is the second time I witnessed this miracle.  If I kill MailScanner
>>and start it, hangups start showing up until the first re-exec.
>>
>>Any scientific explanations?
>
>No idea.
>
>On my own setup : 8 SA "timeouts" observed, 7 in the first 4 hours after
>a restart and 1 outside this scope.
>
>Mojahedul :
>Did all your SA kills occur during the four hours after a restart or do
>you have any strange occurence ?
>
>Since I am in a testing phase I killed/restarted mailscanner a lot, but
>I confirm that once I let it run the SA "timeouts" don't seem to occur...
>
>Weird.

No brilliant ideas on this one, I'm afraid, but the new version will stop
using SpamAssassin (or any particular Spam List entry) once it has failed
consecutively a certain number of times. So if one of the RBL's goes down,
or SA starts hanging for no apparent reason, your mail throughput won't
turn to sludge.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ