Weirdnesses in McAfee autoupdate

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jan 12 10:21:18 GMT 2002

At 22:58 11/01/2002, you wrote:
>1) I had to copy /etc/cron.daily/Sophos.autoupdate to mcafee.autoupdate
>and edit it to do the autoupdate for mcafee.
>2) When I ran autoupdate the first time I got this message:
>Global symbol "$DATDir" requires explicit package name at ./autoupdate
>line 123.

This has been spotted and will be correct in the next release. It's just a
"print" line so doesn't actually do any harm at all. Feel free to delete
the line in question.

>Execution of ./autoupdate aborted due to compilation errors.
>It looked like a typo where $DATdir was misspelled as $DATDir. So I
>fixed that and ran it again and this time I got this:
>A target has not been specified for scanning!
>/usr/local/mcafee/dat/
>
>/usr/local/mcafee/20020111
>
>The latter directory (20020111) is now full of files (including
>scan.dat, names.dat, internet.dat), but I don't know if it's in a usable
>state. How does the scanner know to look in that directory? My
>mcafeewrapper has this in it:
>
>PackageDir=/usr/local/mcafee
>prog=uvscan # `basename $0`
>datDIR=$PackageDir

The original had datDIR=$PackageDir/dat and this is where the mcafee
autoupdate script will put the .dat files it downloads.

>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PackageDir
>export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
>exec ${PackageDir}/$prog -d $datDIR "$@"
>
>Is that cool? This is not so clear to me.

You can tell by running "/usr/local/mcafee/mcafeewrapper ." and see if it
correctly starts up and scans the current directory.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ