Weirdnesses in McAfee autoupdate

Stuart Luppescu s-luppescu at UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Jan 11 22:58:18 GMT 2002

I just installed the latest mailscanner on my RH Linux 6.2 mail server,
along with McAfee Virus Scan. There seems to be problems with the mcafee
autoupdate.
1) I had to copy /etc/cron.daily/Sophos.autoupdate to mcafee.autoupdate
and edit it to do the autoupdate for mcafee.
2) When I ran autoupdate the first time I got this message:
Global symbol "$DATDir" requires explicit package name at ./autoupdate
line 123.
Execution of ./autoupdate aborted due to compilation errors.
It looked like a typo where $DATdir was misspelled as $DATDir. So I
fixed that and ran it again and this time I got this:
A target has not been specified for scanning!
/usr/local/mcafee/dat/

/usr/local/mcafee/20020111

The latter directory (20020111) is now full of files (including
scan.dat, names.dat, internet.dat), but I don't know if it's in a usable
state. How does the scanner know to look in that directory? My
mcafeewrapper has this in it:

PackageDir=/usr/local/mcafee
prog=uvscan # `basename $0`
datDIR=$PackageDir

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PackageDir
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

exec ${PackageDir}/$prog -d $datDIR "$@"

Is that cool? This is not so clear to me.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.
Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu at uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR
才文と智奈美の父 -=-    Kernel 2.4.14-xfs
Life is difficult because it is non-linear.