mailscanner dying --- suggestion

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WITTSEND.COM
Mon Jan 7 14:55:46 GMT 2002

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 02:43:59PM +0000, Julian Field wrote:
> At 14:33 07/01/2002, you wrote:
> >if it
> >
> >        Make that 2 users.

> Cool.

> I've got a possible fix (has worked for 1 user so far), which I will
> publish as soon as it has been tested rather more. If you fancy trying it
> for yourself, I would be interested to see if it works:

> 2. In mta-specific.pl, remove the "i" from right near the end of lines 316,
> 322, 586, 589.

        That's a case independent flag on the match, right?  That would be
a strange one to cause it to warf.

> Please tell me how you get on with this fix. If you are at all nervous
> about doing this, then don't. This is strictly for experts only.

        I've made the change and restarted and so far so good.
Unfortunately, I was a doofus and didn't save the "bad queues" as
test data, so all I can do is wait...  But it leaves me in one of
those nasty negative premise situations where I don't know if it would
have broken otherwise, sigh...

> If the proposed fix really does solve the problem, I will publish a new
> release very soon that incorporates it.

> I would advise even those trying this fix to upgrade to the proper release
> when I create it.

        :->

> >> I've just done this change and fed it with a message I had stored which I
> >> knew would break mailscanner and it worked ok. One of the common bits
> >> between the messages I'd stored which failed was an existing Mailscanner
> >> header...
> >
> >        After reporting that mailscanner had been running for over 48 hours
> >(I think I said 72, but that was wrong) I found that it had just failed.
> >Three attempts to start it back up all failed immediately.  Changed the
> >append to add and it fired right up and processed the queue.  Unfortunately
> >I lied when I said I would take a snapshot of the queues next time.  I
> >forgot to do that before trying this, so I lost that test data.  Damn...
> >
> >> Thanks Julian...
> >
> >> Martin

> --
> Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
> jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
> Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
>                             Southampton SO17 1BJ

        Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/