mailscanner dying --- suggestion

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jan 7 14:43:59 GMT 2002

At 14:33 07/01/2002, you wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:36:36PM +0000, Martin Sapsed wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Julian Field wrote:
> > > Suggestion: Change "Multiple Headers" from "append" to "add" and see
> if it
> > > still dies. This has solved the problem for 1 user.
>
>         Make that 2 users.

Cool.

I've got a possible fix (has worked for 1 user so far), which I will
publish as soon as it has been tested rather more. If you fancy trying it
for yourself, I would be interested to see if it works:

2. In mta-specific.pl, remove the "i" from right near the end of lines 316,
322, 586, 589.

Please tell me how you get on with this fix. If you are at all nervous
about doing this, then don't. This is strictly for experts only.

If the proposed fix really does solve the problem, I will publish a new
release very soon that incorporates it.

I would advise even those trying this fix to upgrade to the proper release
when I create it.

> > > I know this is only a temporary workaround, but it's better than not
> > > working at all :)
>
> > I've just done this change and fed it with a message I had stored which I
> > knew would break mailscanner and it worked ok. One of the common bits
> > between the messages I'd stored which failed was an existing Mailscanner
> > header...
>
>         After reporting that mailscanner had been running for over 48 hours
>(I think I said 72, but that was wrong) I found that it had just failed.
>Three attempts to start it back up all failed immediately.  Changed the
>append to add and it fired right up and processed the queue.  Unfortunately
>I lied when I said I would take a snapshot of the queues next time.  I
>forgot to do that before trying this, so I lost that test data.  Damn...
>
> > Thanks Julian...
>
> > Martin

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ