Compatibility with sophie

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 3 10:08:31 GMT 2002

At 09:53 03/01/2002, you wrote:
>Will mailscanner work with sophie?

No. Not currently, anyway.

The reason I haven't used it is to guard against resource leaks. As Sophie
starts up and runs as a daemon, calling the Sophos SAVI library, it is
highly likely that either the Sophie code or the SAVI code leaks memory
somewhere. This will make MailScanner unstable (my regular restarts are to
guard against memory leaks). So I would need some way of killing off sophie
and restarting it on a regular basis, which is awkward. Also, if Sophie
died, I would have to detect this death and again restart it.

So it all becomes a bit of a mess.

To keep load to a minimum I scan messages in batches already, so the
startup cost of Sophos Sweep isn't very high per message anyway. The busier
the mail server, the larger the batches, so the smaller the cost per
message of starting up Sophos Sweep.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ