ANNOUNCE: Version 3.00 released

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 3 10:38:48 GMT 2002

Okay folks, Version 3.00 is out there for you.

Loads of new features in this release, including

- Support for new virus scanning engines (as well as Sophos and McAfee):
     F-Prot -- free for Linux at the time of writing this message
     F-Secure
     Kaspersky
     CommandAV
     InoculateIT
- Add a signature to clean messages showing they were scanned by MailScanner,
   in either/both text and HTML
- Include the full message headers in virus reports to the local Postmaster
- Support for the SpamAssassin project to greatly improve the success of spam
   identification. See http://spamassassin.taint.org/ for installation
   instructions.
- Stop messages that ever had a virus in them leaving your site, even after
   they have been cleaned up and had viruses removed. Saves washing your dirty
   linen in public!
- Set the attachment warning filename so it doesn't have to be
   VirusWarning.txt any more
- Support for Sophos' (undocumented) built-in TNEF decoder to improve the
   decoding of Microsoft Outlook Rich Text Format attachments.
- Latest version of the public domain TNEF decoder included.
- Revised filename.rules.conf file to set the order of the rules correctly

And there are probably some I have forgotten to include...
Read the new mailscanner.conf file and the mailscanner.conf documentation
for all the new switches and options available.

You will discover that some of the virus scanning engine support code is
marked as "beta" (read the docs or the mailscanner.conf file and you'll
find out the exact meaning of this). We would be grateful to hear from
people who have success or problems with any of this code, so that we can
rapidly update its status to being fully "supported".

All downloadable, as ever, from
         www.mailscanner.info
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ