Compatibility with sophie

Ray Gardener R.A.Gardener at SHU.AC.UK
Thu Jan 3 09:53:15 GMT 2002

Hi all,

Sophie is a daemon which provides a interface to the Sophos Savi library.

http://www.vanja.com/tools/sophie/

The reason for my interest is that it promises a faster mechanism of
scanning than Sophos's own sweep program.
"Since virus patterns are always in memory, scanning is fast (fast in
'startup', not fast in 'execution' :) and takes much less resources. For one
'run', it probably doesn't make a difference if you will use Sophie of
Sweep. However, if you have a program (local mail delivery agent, for
example) that needs to scan every few seconds/minutes - things are way
different.

The 'difference' I am talking about is not in scanning itself - when
scanning is in progress, Sophie is little involved in it. Scanning speed
depends on the SAVI setup, and on the size of the file being scanned (and if
it is an archive, there might be hundreds, even thousands of files inside).
However, the initialization of the engine is what count in this case"

Will mailscanner work with sophie?

Regards,

Ray Gardener