RBL checking

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 28 17:01:13 GMT 2002

At 16:43 28/02/2002, you wrote:
>I think the question was:
>
>What happens if the RBL check in mailscanner fails?  Does MailScanner still
>call SpamAssassin?  or is the message "tagged and sent on?"

It still does both checks. Some of my users only auto-filter mail that has
been tagged as spam by the RBL lists as they prefer to ignore the results
of SpamAssassin. This means I have to do all the checks.

Also, it won't make much difference to the speed, as a very small %-age of
mail in any batch of messages is caught by the RBL checks, so virtually all
the mail would still have to go through SpamAssassin anyway.

>I assume that once a message is tagged as SPAM, no further checks are
>performed.  So by setting the RBL flag on or off in SpamAssassin shouldnt
>make a difference if MailScanner has already labeled the message as SPAM.

No. See above.

>Julian Field said:
> > At 16:35 28/02/2002, you wrote:
> >>Julian, if Mailscanner does an RBL check does it still pass the message
> >>off to SpamAssassin in which case it's checked again along with
> >>content?  Or is it just tagged and send on?  Our queues got really
> >>large last night and I've had to disable SA checking until they clear
> >>out.  I was wondering if RBL checking was happening in both mailscanner
> >>and sa on the same message.
> >
> > I have my SpamAssassin user_prefs file say
> > skip_rbl_checks 1
> > which fixes it.
> >
> >>Also what is mailcanner using for the reverse dns lookups if it doesn't
> >>use net:dns module like SA does?  Just wondering if the SA guys could
> >>use the same process and ditch net::dns.
> >
> > I just use gethostbyname(). Seems fast in some tests I've been doing
> > this afternoon. I was thinking about starting to use Net::DNS (as it
> > can do DNS lookups in background), but the time taken to do it with
> > gethostbyname() just wasn't worth trying to optimise. The real delay
> > was all the processing the SpamAssassin does, not the DNS lookups.
> > --
> > Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
> > jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
> > Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
> >                             Southampton SO17 1BJ

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ