Scanning By Domain

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Thu Feb 21 14:02:48 GMT 2002

[snip]

There is an even stronger argument for reversing the logic of Scanning
by Domain and that is the security implications of inadvertently
allowing unscanned mail through without realising it.

This will arise if the Scanning by Domain option is in effect and the
Sys Admin forgets to add a domain (to be scanned) to the
domains.to.scan.conf file.

The Scanning by Domain option should "fail safe". That is, it should
scan every domain *except* those you explicitly ask it not to scan.

Apart from cutting down the size of the file at sites where all but a
few domains are scanned, it would protect the negligent or forgetful Sys
Admin from himself!    :-)

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Computing Service, University of Newcastle
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.