SpamAssassin

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 20 16:13:25 GMT 2002

At 16:06 20/02/2002, you wrote:
>I installed Mailscanner 3.11.1 and Command AntiVirus 4.62.4.  Everything
>goes well.  Now it's time to test with SpamAssassin.  I am not running
>spamd/spamc.  Mailscanner calls SpamAssassin, and adds {SPAM} on the
>subject when spam e-mails are found.  Is there a  way to drop these spam e-
>mails rather than tag the {SPAM} and deliver to users?  Thanks for any
>comment/suggestion.

Basically, no.

MailScanner doesn't just drop the spam as any automatic system sometimes
gets it wrong, and deleting mail that users might want is a very fast way
to annoy your users. So I just tag it, but still deliver it, leaving the
user to decide what to do with it. It is then very easy for users to set up
a filter in their email program that will, for example, move all the tagged
mail into an "Auto-Spam" folder which they just need to briefly check once
a week.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ