feature ideas

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 08:56:29 GMT 2002

At 20:03 14/02/2002, you wrote:
>Also, has anybody toyed with the idea of "archiving" all emails that
>come through the system?  This of course should be a configuration
>option that defaults to off.  The reason I'm asking, is we have a client
>that we are going to use the mailscanner for virus and spam checking but
>they also want to scan all emails to make sure that no offensive content
>is sent through their mail server.  All their users have been notified
>that they are monitoring emails, etc.  Apparently they have had an issue
>in the past with people emailing offensive materials to co-workers, etc.
>
>I'm not asking to incorporate a content scanner (though that would be
>better), just to provide the ability to archive the emails so another
>script can scan them later.

Take a look at sendmail.pl line 113. Currently commented out, the code says:

# Temporary mod for Spam Killer development process.
#system("/bin/cp $InQueueDir/qf$id $InQueueDir/df$id /export/2/var/spam/queue")
#  if (-s "$InQueueDir/df$id") <= 1000000 && $Config::Hostname =~ /magpie/i;

You will need to change the /export/2/var/spam/queue directory to one of
your choosing, and change/remove the test for magpie, but it's basically
already there, just not used in the release versions.

BTW I abandoned the Spam Killer development when I heard about SpamAssassin.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ