DansGuardian Anti-Virus Plugin Patch Available (based off the MailScanner!)

Richard D Alloway ralloway at CHARTERPA.NET
Thu Aug 8 17:49:22 IST 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, James A. Pattie wrote:

> That was going to be the next project I worked on. :)

Great!

> Basically we would just have to take the c++ modules that DansGuardian
> has for the content filtering and embed them in MailScanner via
> something like Inline::CPP.  The hardest part will be the config files -
> do we use the same as DansGuardian or do we want our own copy?

I would imagine that it would be a good idea to have the option of
seperate config files, but perhaps default to using the (possibly)
existing DansGuardian config files.

My company is hopefully purchasing the $450 USD license so we would have
unlimited users, servers, and sites.  This would make it quite legal to
install another copy of DG on the MailScanner box.

> Then after embedding the c++ modules, we would need to figure out where
> they are to be called, etc.  We probably will have to modify them
> slightly in regards to data structures, etc.

I'm not familiar with how MailScanner/SpamAssassin/DansGuardian work
internally, but how about taking the score returned by SpamAssassin and
use DG to increase the score (SAHits?) based on the content of the
message?

If DG finds that the content is not appropriate, then increase the score
by, say, 100 and configure MailScanner's High Score to 99 and High Score
Action to delete.

Just my $0.02 :)

-Rich