Contents of a message can kill MailScanner?

Gillis, Mark Mark.Gillis at HTCINC.NET
Thu Aug 8 13:40:55 IST 2002

I do not know if this is a MailScanner issue, or a Sophos issue.

Here's the error message from syslog:

Commercial virus checker failed with real error: Modification of a read-only
value attempted at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/alpha-dec_osf/Sys/Syslog.pm
line 296, <KID> line 1.

Whereupon mailscanner died.  This continued to occur after each restart.  I
tried changing the conf options regarding TNEF, same results.

I moved the files comprising the first message in mqueue.in to /tmp and
restarted MailScanner... it then caught up and is running normally.

The message in question looks very much like a run-of-the-mill Klez copy,
judging by the text of the message.  I will continue to play with it -- if
anybody else would like to look at it, let me know.

Why is it always me that stubs his toe on the fun ones?

Thanks,

mark

HTC Disclaimer:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.