Possible Silly Question

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 2 08:41:11 IST 2001

At 23:13 01/10/2001, you wrote:
>Just finished installing the new version of mailscanner and I've got a
>question. What is the default action for when a mail message or batch of
>messages exceed the timeouts? For example, the Virus Scanner Timeout is
>5mins....after this timeout, do the messages held within the batch get
>bounced back to the senders or are they allowed to pass through (if bounced
>back, what message or alteration to the message is returned to the sender).
>I guess am asking a similar question for the TNEF expander timeouts as well.

Any message that fails the TNEF timeout is considered an unparsable TNEF
attachment and is quarantined.

When a batch of messages exceeds the Virus Scanner Timeout, the messages
are scanned individually (with the same timeout value) to see if one of
them on its own causes a timeout. If there is one (or more) individual
messages found to cause a timeout, these are marked as "Denial Of Service
Attacks" and are quarantined.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ