mailscanner & exim - solved

Nick Phillips nwp at LEMON-COMPUTING.COM
Tue Dec 18 18:43:53 GMT 2001

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 10:00:15PM +0000, Rajesh Fowkar wrote:

> After installing I realised that if I give mailq from a user login
>
> mailq -C /etc/exim_outgoing.conf
>
> it does not work. You have to be root to do that. So now I have created a
> script called mq
>
> sudo mailq -C /etc/exim_outgoing.conf

You might be better off setting the exim option that allows any user to
view the queue, depending on what users you have on the box.

> Another thing, for exim I have to change the ownership of Mailscanner and
> exim_incoming.
>
> chown -R mail.mail /var/spool/MailScanner
> chown -R mail.mail /var/spool/exim_incoming

Not quite sure exactly what's what there... but evidently your "new"
spool directory permissions should be the same as the original ones:

drwxr-x---    5 mail     mail         1024 Apr 13  2001 exim
drwxr-x---    5 mail     mail         1024 Apr 13  2001 exim.in

> >> ps.: Is there any cvs of mailscanner ?
> >
> >Yes thanks. >;)
>
> I asked because at present I am using alien to convert the rpm to deb and
> than install that deb using dpkg. :-)

...which is a much better way to install it than messing about with CVS,
for oh-so-many reasons.

I've just started working on a basic installer. Once that works (it's not
a high priority, so it'll take a while), I'll move onto the frankly rather
scary task of building a Debian package of the whole thing. Hopefully by
then I'll be living in the much lower-stress environs of Dunedin, NZ (rather
than SW London) and not have too much else to worry about. Then it might
be a bit easier to concentrate.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com
Excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator.