mailscanner & exim

Nick Phillips nwp at LEMON-COMPUTING.COM
Mon Dec 17 11:18:41 GMT 2001

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 11:23:59PM +0000, Rajesh Fowkar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am on dial-up connection at my home. Now after configuring mailscanner &
> exim everything works fine mail is checked, warning sent. But if I send a
> mail to outside domain from my home machine say xyz at yahoo.com than the mail
> is scanned and than it waits in /var/spool/exim/input
>
> But when I do mailq nothing is visible.

This is expected. Exim and all the standard tools will use the standard
compiled-in location of the exim config file, which is the mailscanner's
incoming queue.

Use "mailq -C <outgoingconffile>"

It is done this way round to ensure that locally-generated mail gets scanned.

One day there will be a worm that is caught by this.

> What I should do to send the mail waiting in /var/spool/exim/input but not
> showing in mailq ?

"exim -C <outgoingconffile> -qf"

...or similar.

Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com
It's lucky you're going so slowly, because you're going in the wrong direction.