Sender warnings going to recipients!

Nick Phillips nwp at LEMON-COMPUTING.COM
Wed Dec 5 16:36:41 GMT 2001

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 03:52:12PM -0000, Quentin Campbell wrote:

> > On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 12:16:10PM -0000, Quentin Campbell wrote:
> > > We have ben running 2.60-2 since it was released. The platforms are
> > > Solaris 2.7 running sendmail 8.10.1.
> > >
> > > We have started to receive complaints (and evidence) that
> > _recipients_
> > > of infected messages are sometimes getting the "sender" warning
> > > message. That is, the "To:" address _in_ the warning
> > message (a local
> > > recipient) also becomes the "To:" address _for_ the warning message
> > > itself. The latter should be the address of the sender. Any
> > ideas? An
> > > example follows with the original message at the end:

> > Are you *sure* (like really really really sure) that the
> > recipients of the infected messages are not in fact infected
> > and therefore also senders?
>
> Yes, we are _sure_ that the recipients are not infected. They use Unix
> workstations!

You really don't realise how lucky you are...  Unix workstations and
paranoid users -- what more could you possibly want ;)

Anyway, since it's sendmail you're using, over to Jules (I use Exim and
avoid sendmail like the plague, so am not in a position to help)...

Cheers,

Nick

Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com
Your reasoning is excellent -- it's only your basic assumptions that are wrong.