Alternatives to Sophos

Tim Tyler tyler at beloit.edu
Mon Dec 3 15:41:28 GMT 2001

Yes, Sophos appears to force a site license as a necessary purchase if you
want to protect all users using mailscanner.  This creates a dilema since we
are heavily invested in Norton at the desktop level.  If we want to stay
with Norton at the desktop and use Sophos at the server level, we would be
caught with a double site license essentially.  This for us is like paying
an extra $5k or $6k per year.  That creates a bit of a dilema for us as an
educational institution without much of a budget.
  I wish it were possible to negotiate some compromise on the licensing
issue.  We are nearing the end of our testing phase with Mailscanner and may
have to turn it off if we can't work out a budget agreement for Sophos.
McAfee is just as bad.  Alternatively, I wish Norton would create something
to work with mailscanner - hence removing our particular dilema.  I have
written to them about this, but I am not very optomistic.

Tim

--
Tim Tyler
Network Manager - Beloit College