MSMilter Header Order

Andrew Martin amartin at protected.ca
Wed Aug 30 13:53:42 UTC 2023

Greetings! Although new to this list, I've been using MailScanner for
several years with great results - thank you Shawn and contributors!

I've been testing MailScanner using the milter method and so far
everything works well, with the exception of where milter headers are
placed in the final message. My setup is:

Postfix -> OpenDKIM Milter -> OpenDMARC Milter -> MailScanner Milter

The (patched) OpenDKIM and OpenDMARC milters are configured to insert
their Authentication-Results headers at index 0 using smfi_insheader().
This should theoretically insert these headers _above_ the Received
header created by MSMilter (this works in non-milter mode where Postfix
creates the Received header). Instead, they are appearing below the
Received header created by MSMilter. I believe this leads SpamAssassin
to ignore the Authentication-Results header (treated as not
locally-generated/trusted headers).

Am I missing a configuration option that fixes this? If not, is there a
workaround to get the headers to show up above the Received header?

- Andrew.