missing ms-init script in MailScanner 5.4.4

Dean guenther dean at guenthers.us
Mon Sep 5 15:46:25 UTC 2022

I'm in the process of moving from my old MailScanner 4.85.2 installation on CentOS
6.7 to a fresh install of MailScanner 5.4.4 on ubuntu 20.04.
I've run the MailScanner install.sh on ubuntu but the ms-init script is missing from
/etc/init.d so I can't start MailScanner. At least thats where I was presuming I should find ms-init.
Being new to ubuntu, things may be different to what I'm used to with CentOS.

I have already installed dovecot and ClamAV from the default ubuntu repository. And
the MailScanner 5.4.4 install.sh did put the MailScanner config files into
/etc/MailScanner as expected. So I've modified the /etc/MailScanner configs to
pretty much match the options I had set under the old MailScanner 4.85.2.

But now I can't start MailScanner because the /etc/init.d/ms-init is missing. I
considered copying ms-init out of the build directory
usr/lib/MailScanner/init but I'm wondering even if I do that, are there other things
that did not get copied with the install.sh because ms-init is missing?

When I did the install-sh it went through filling dependencies just fine. With one
exception it was unable to build Mail::ClamAV. I posted at github and
@shawniverson mentioned that Mail::ClamAV is no longer needed by MailScanner so it may not
be a concern.

After running install.sh I also did a /usr/sbin/ms-perl-check and there were no missing
dependencies that I could see other than Mail::ClamAV.

There was also a warning when I ran install.sh it said

cp: cannot stat './var': No such file or directory

But there is no var in the build directory. Perhaps its just a warning??

So, how do I safely copy ms-init to /etc/init.d
and also, how do I know if there are other things missing that the install.sh did
not copy?

thanks - Dean Guenther

believed to be clean.