whitelist issues

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 17 22:35:13 UTC 2021

On 5/17/21 1:06 PM, David Daniluk wrote:

> My first issue is very similar to the post here:
> http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2002-December/008540.html.
> I have whitelist entries like below
>
> From:    *@example.com             AND TO:
> *@mydomain.com       yes
>
> From:    *@*.example.com         AND TO:
> *@mydomain.com       yes
>
>             ^tab                               ^tab     ^space (and
> after TO:)       ^tab
>

> The first rule seems to work without issues, but the second does not
> work (at least for some of the rules like that). My question on this one
> is: is my entry correct or did I make a mistake by not using
> “/[\@\.]example\.com$/”.

Yours as they are should be OK. As far as the regexp goes, I prefer
that, but it should be

/[@.]example\.com$/

things like '.' lose their special meaning inside a character class and
shouldn't be escaped.

> My second issue is less generic as I only have one rule like it.
> From:    *@onesub.twosub.example.com	AND TO: *@mydomain.com	yes
>

> E-mails coming from exactly what I have the rule for are still getting
> marked as spam L.
>
> Is there a syntax checker for the whitelist anywhere?

Where are you referencing these rules? It is possible that the rule is
fine, but the setting you are applying it to is not the correct one to
do what you want