Yahoo and "Filename contains lots of white space" rule

Ricky Boone ricky.boone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 14:42:15 UTC 2021

Thanks, that was what I thought.  The examples I'm seeing do not include
TAB characters after the break in the file name.  They all start with a LF
control character, then a series of space characters (0x20), then the rest
of the file name.  The amount of spaces seems to be variable.  I'm finding
some that go above 20, some that are around 10... I can't discern a
pattern, and I can't fully prove that this is Yahoo that is doing it,
though it would seem odd to have that many senders doing the same thing on
their own in this way.  I don't think this is a MailScanner issue, just
that a rule in MailScanner is potentially exposing RFC breaking behavior.

I do see another commonality, and that is the X-Mailer header containing
the following information (or similar):

CFNetwork/1209 Darwin/20.2.0

Every single example that I've seen so far indicates that these are being
sent potentially from the same type of email client (with some variations
on version strings, etc.).  If I have time I'll see if there are any non @
yahoo.com examples that might indicate a commonality (iOS/macOS, etc.).